Saturday, June 11, 2011

Chocolate Almond Souffles

It's been challenging finding baking recipes since adopting a grain free lifestyle. Much of gluten free cooking using long lists of esoteric ingredients; most of the paleo baking recipes use artificial sweeteners ( which I think are THE DEVIL; I would rather live without sweets than let that poison into my body) , stevia, which tastes so much like nutrasweet to me that I cannot consider it natural. or expensive liquid sweeteners. So I turn to classic European recipes, many of which naturally don't use grains. Why dilute the intensity of your chocolate with all that flour, anyway? Sadly, scratching my souffle itch today was made more complicated by my lack of baking chocolate. After reading enough recipes to grok the chemistry of souffles, I put this one together. I made it alongside my fritatta and focaccia, so I had some interesting juggling to do! The best part is I got everything into the oven at the same time.

In a small saucepan, bring 3/4 cup almonds, 1/2 cup milk, and 2 TBL sugar to the boil. Turn off heat and let cool.


Puree in a food processor until it forms a paste.

Butter and sugar 6 oven safe ramekins.



In the bowl of a stand mixer , whip 4  egg white until the form stiff peaks ( I threw the yolks into my fritatta- 2 yolks replaces one whole egg. Add 1/3 cup sugar and whip until it's incorporated. Try not to eat the resulting crack.


 Fold in the almond paste, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and touch vanilla.



Divide evenly among ramekins.



Bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.


These are a bit dry, so they do need a sauce. A quick ganache would be superb.

No comments:

Post a Comment