Thursday, June 9, 2011

Buttery Dijon Chicken with Garlic Broccoli and Orange Glazed Fennel

Tonight's dinner- pure bliss!

The chicken:Oven 350. Start with a whole chicken. If you're in the Pacific Northwest, I suggest Foster Farms or Draper Valley Farms . Skinning it or not is up to your personal preference : I skin mine. I'm also saving  the livers and other organs because I hope to make pate . In a cup, soften 1/2 stick on unsalted butter. Stir in about 1 1/2 TBL each Dijon Mustard and extra virgin olive oil.

Crush about 6 cloves of garlic and stir in, along with a few dashes of sea salt:

Stir it all up, and it should look like this:

Slap your chicken into a baking dish, and brush with about half-ish of the sauce:


Bake for 45 minutes, flip, brush with the other half of the sauce, bake another 45.
Turn off the oven and let the chicken rest while you prepare the veg. Get out two large skillets (I use cats iron as much as possible) and put a generous lug of olive oil in each. For the first, chop about another 6 cloves of garlic and  the florets from 2 heads of broccoli.

For the second, slice up a bulb of fennel, greenery and all. Throw it in the pan and pour over about 2 TBL fresh squeezed orange juice and a TSP of sugar or honey. (I used leftover orange glaze from Picard and Troi cake ) Fry them all up until your garlic is crispy and your fennel has caramelised.

Carve your bird,



And serve!



This is the wine we served: Not my first pick for chicken, but I didn't plan ahead:


Oh, and because I do have a cruel streak, contrary to popular belief: This is what happens when you google Picard Cake. (safe for kids and work)






No comments:

Post a Comment