Friday, July 8, 2011

Eating well in Astoria, OR

We just spent the past two days in Astoria, OR. In addition to seeing dear friends, climbing the Astoria column, and visiting the Astoria Column  , and visiting the Oregon Film Museum , I knew I would have to eat. This can be nerve wracking for anyone trying to hold to a particular way of eating; but for me it's more than that. I'm not "just paleo". There are foods I CAN'T eat in any quantity; I'm allergic to whey and peanuts and intolerant to dairy and wheat. The dairy has been a part of my life for a while but since the peanuts and wheat are new, I'm unused to navigating them outside my own home.
I'm happy to report nothing but good!
For lunch, both days we were there, we went to Cecil's. I can't find a link or review anywhere, but it's on the waterfront between 10th and 11th. Both times I got a Cecil's burger, no cheese, wrap style. The first day I got potato salad and the second side salad. The beef is DELICIOUS! The service is excellent but don't go if you're in a hurry to eat.
For our one supper, we went to Himani Indian Cuisine. You can find it at   (503) 325-8171
1044 Marine Drive
Astoria, OR 97103

Not only is is some of the best Indian food I have ever eaten, but they people there are something special. WE had been at Fort Stevens Park and gotten back to the hotel late- 8:40 PM. Spence at Cannery Pier Hotel asked them to hold a table for us, and they did. (My kids have declared Spence "The King of Astoria".) I had the Chicken Coconut Korma, hot. (Yes, you hardcore paleo folks, I did have the lovely basmati rice) . The eldest had Kedai lamb, and was pleasantly surprised to find he did like Indian food. The Girl  and our friend's son had the Himani chicken and Turbo had the Lamb Biryiani. The DM had his usual Indian restaurant fare, the grill plate.
For tea time, we went to Astoria Coffeehouse . The atmosphere was lovely, and my soy mocha was tasty and beautiful.
The gluten free, vegan brownie was one of the few things I had that failed to satisfy. It was crumbly, not moist, and lacked depth of chocolateyness. I am sure I could make a much better gluten free, vegan brownie myself.
Having been back home a day, I am thrilled that I have had no negative repercussions from anything I eat- including no weight gain! (OK, running up all 64 steps of the column barefoot, twice, might have helped).  It's not hard at all to have  primal trip to this beautiful Oregon coast town, and I hope it won't be too long until I have other places to review for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment