Monday, August 20, 2012

Vegan nectarine ice cream and Lemon Angel Food Cake

Last week was hot here in the Pacific Northwest, and I found myself craving peach ice cream. I have never had it before, but it sounded like the best idea. Since my best friend's son is heading back east for his last year of college soon, I decided to make it a celebration.
When I went shopping, it turned out that peaches were $2.49/lb, and nectarines 99 cents/lb, so I altered my goals a little.
I modified and doubled this peach ice cream recipe .


1 33 oz container coconut CREAM, chilled
3 pounds nectarines, pitted and sliced (weighed after pitting)
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 TBL vanilla
2 TBL coconut oil
juice of one lemon

Blend nectarines with sugar and enough coconut milk to emulsify. Place all ingredients in your ice cream maker's tub and process according to manufacturer's directions. It was delicious, but there is no doubt that if I'd sprung for the Pence peaches, it would have been better by an order of magnitude.

I based my angel food cake recipe on the one from Jaques Pepin's Simple and Healthy Cooking . Even though the original recipe has TWO ingredients I cannot eat ( flour and almond extract) the mods were easy and it turned out beautifully!

Oven 350

10 cold egg whites
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup mochiko (sweet rice flour)
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of one lemon

Beat egg whites on high until soft peaks form. Add granulated sugar and vanilla and continue beating until shiny. Sift the powdered sugar,  and mochiko over the egg whites, toss in the lemon zest, and GENTLY fold into the eggs whites until just incorporated. Gently ladle into a cake pan greased with coconut oil, and bake for 15-35 minutes.
This is incredibly tender and not tough at all, as grocery store angel food cakes tend to be. My BFF suggested the mochiko might help; it's way too easy to over work gluten. I think that whether you use gluten or not, two methods are important to keep your angel food cake from getting tough: don't overbeat your egg whites, and don't fold the flour in any more than you have to. Future mods I might try with this would be using orange zest, and replacing some or all of the mochiko with flaked coconut .


No comments:

Post a Comment